Chain Tension

Post here if you have a question regarding the maintenance or servicing of your MT Tracer.

Chain Tension

Postby linden » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm

This topic seems to have been done to death without any definitive answer.
The manual says 5 to 15mm when the bike is on the stand. It warns of dire consequences if this figure is not adhered to.
Well I have tried the chain at this measurement and I have to say even at the max value of 15mm as the suspension deflects with rider weight the chain is like a banjo string.
What do others feel. Yamaha seem to insist that the manual is correct but anyone who has ridden a bike for more that a month or two can see there is something amiss surely. Every bike that I have owned has a much slacker chain than this one.
The bike rides and sounds awful with the chain so tight.

Come on, lets hear what the Forum says.

Re: Chain Tension

Postby 847 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:53 am

I couldn't agree more! I got my bike back from its 10,000km service last week. There was about 10mm of chain slack, unladen. When i sat on my bike, the chain was crazily tight. Riding along, I could hear it buzzing even through earplugs. Previously, I had it at around 25-26mm, which was fine, I thought.

With the aid of a mate, I loosened the chain until it was perhaps just a tad tight with the bike loaded, which equated to about 25mm of slack on the centrestand.

And that's where it will stay unless someone can give me a damn good reason why they think Yamaha is correct. The book says that if it's over the limit, the chain will foul unspecified frame components. It does say 25mm is the absolute limit, so I really object to the 10-15mm rubbish.

At 25mm, I can't really say I can hear the chain any more. There is no known frame contact, and no reduction in shift quality I could pick. Vibration remains unchanged.

My 2c worth...

Return to “Servicing and Maintenance”